The 6 EASY Commandments of Skincare
When it comes to great skin, you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars! A few simple rules to live by will help you create your best skin ever. Keep in mind, these are my Six Commandments of Skin Care, so they have to be followed each and every day for long-term results. The best thing is, anyone can start doing them, right now!!!
- Remove ALL makeup before going to bed: They best tip I have ever learned for this is keeping a pack of my makeup remover wipes on my night stand. That way no matter how tired I am, I can reach over, grab a wipe and quickly wash it all off and throw the towelette away in the morning.
- Remove ALL makeup before working out: I don’t care how many minerals they claim to have in your makeup, when your pores are super sweaty and open you don’t want that stuff getting trapped in there! GROSS!!! If you care that much about what you look like at the gym, you are probably there for the wrong reasons. This can lead to those pesky breakouts that you just can’t seem to get rid of no matter what you try. Well try this… WASH you face before going to the gym, silly! (keep a pack of makeup remover wipes in your gym bag)
- Exfoliate weekly: Some of us need to even exfoliate 2-3 times per week as we age. But I suggest starting with once a week if this is a new to you. It will not only get rid of those dry, dead, lackluster skin cells but make your skin feel and look so much prettier and healthier in less than 60 seconds! I love a good exfoliating scrub.
- SPF all year-long: I believe in sun protection in any season. Harmful UVA and UVB rays are still around in the winter. The best anti-aging advice is prevention!!! SPF 15 -30. Anything less is useless and anything more is a joke. Unless it is pure zinc oxide (you know, the solid white stuff lifeguards wear). Also, remember your sunglasses year round to prevent wrinkles and protect the delicate skin around the eye area!
- Moisturize daily: Find a moisturizer that works best with your skin type and use it at least 1-2 times per day. Our faces are exposed to the elements all year-long and lose essential moisture and the other building blocks of healthy skin are broken down over time. To keep skin hydrated and balanced the correct type of moisture is essential to healthy skin. (Best applied after cleansing or exfoliating)
- Drink 1/2 to 1 gallon of water each day: The skin is our largest organ and is made up of 70% water! Great skin is hydrated from within. If you are not used to this much water, don’t worry. You can start small and build up to it over time. But take note that if you trade all other beverages for pure water and increase your consumption, your skin will surely show it.
***Photo Credit: Liana Saadi Louzon